Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Morality Play

What can I say? I find this test highly interesting, but maybe it's just me being a philosopher. But first, take the test, then read what I have to say about it below.

If you have already taken the test, you should know the meaning of the results, as they have already been explained on the follow-up screen quite clearly. That said, if you don't want to read the lengthy explanations, you might as well get the take-home point: this is a test to measure your Moral Parsimony (i.e. "whether this principle is applied simply and without modification or qualification in a number of different circumstances"); that is, how consistent your moral framework is despite factors like Geographical Distance, Family Relatedness, ect. It must be noted that Moral Parsimony cannot be simply labeled "good" or "bad", for it is entirely left for the agent to decide.

Of course, this test in and of itself isn't as accurate as one would hope it would be. 19 questions just seem a bit too small of a sample, considering the wide range of elements of circumstances this test attempts to cover. The thing that really interests me about this test is the idea of Moral Parsimony, as I have never given much thought to it before and it's refreshing to see how my own (hypothetical) decisions reveal a hidden property of my own moral system. (It's always nice to know more about yourself. Hee.) Which is why I recommend this test to you. And your friends and family, for that matter.

P.s. I myself got a Moral Parsimony Score of 88% overall, but, to my surprise, my score for Acts and Omissions is 57%, slightly lower than the average 60%. Hmm. Also, I am not promoting and have no affiliation with the TPM Online, the site where the test is hosted, and I doubt the folks at TPM even know that I exist.

Labels: , , ,